Sunday, July 10, 2011

Three

A nice long chapter... they seem to go on forever when I have a lot of dialogue. Hope you enjoy and get a few laughs from it!! :o) And hey! Where are all my commentors at?! I know there are more than 2 of you...



“Are you serious?!  You haven’t been to Disney World yet?” I exclaimed a little louder than I probably should have at the outdoor café we were sitting at. 

She just looked at me, her green eyes large as she nodded her head up and down.

“Well I think we definitely need to change that.  What is the point of coming to the States to experience our culture if you don’t get out and do things?” I asked, realizing that I might be sounding rude, but I relaxed when I saw her begin to giggle.

“I have not made many friends here,” she said as she took a bite of her cheeseburger.  “The nurses are not very welcoming,” she said with a mouthful, immediately covering her face with her hands in embarrassment.

“Well Eric sure talks highly of you,” Downie piped up as he laughed at her blushing.

“The kids accept my accent a little easier than the adults,” she said when she finished chewing.  “I understand the language very well, but speaking can sometimes be difficult.”

“I think you speak good,” Downie grinned.

“You mean you think she speaks well,” I corrected him as I punched him in the side.

“Whatever mister perfect,” he grumbled over at me.

“I have noticed that grammar ist not like it ist over in Deutschland,” she giggled.

“So do you plan on staying here in the States?” Steve blurted out, obviously trying to take the conversation in a different direction to help out his ego a bit.

A look of sadness quickly crossed her face, but a serious look took over as she swiveled her head back and forth, slowly.  “I will only be here for close to 2 years.  Once my boyfriend ist done University, it is understood that I go back home to get married.”

“You don’t seem very excited about that prospect,” Downie piped up right away as I was still stuck on the words “boyfriend.”

She sighed, obviously a little uncomfortable about telling us about her situation.  “He ist a great man.  We have known each other since we were little and our families have been supporting it from the beginning,” she stated unenthusiastically.  She then plastered a fake smile on her face, trying to show she was excited when she informed us that he was coming here to visit her in a little under 2 weeks.  “It will be the first time since I have been here.”

Downie and I just looked at each other, our thoughts staying silent but completely understood as we both looked back at her and said, “Oh, that’s nice,” in flat toned unison.

She didn’t seem to notice our lack of gusto as she picked at the rest of her food on her plate.

“Are you working on Tuesday?” I suddenly blurted out.

“After tonight I have off work the next two nights.  I go back on Wednesday.” she said, obviously a little taken back from my sudden question.

“Oh,” was all I could say as I sat there looking at her with a dumbfounded look on my face.

“Was there a point to that question?” Steve asked slowly as he snapped his fingers in front of my face, grabbing my attention.

“Um, yeah, sorry.  I was thinking that you might want to partake in a little bit of the Thanksgiving tradition; I know the holiday is on Thursday, but we leave for DC that day, so I figured Tuesday would be a good day to put on a spread.  I will need help doing some of the cooking…”

“I would love that!” she said as her eyes instantly brightened and a meaningful smile stuck to her face.  “I can help you do some of the cooking and what-not.  I am pretty handy in the kitchen!” she said enthusiastically as I was thinking about how good she was going to look standing in my kitchen…

“You might want to make sure you put a grocery list together, Stammer.  Last time I looked around in your kitchen, you had absolutely nothing in there that resembled edible food.  I don’t think a Thanksgiving meal is composed of power bars and protein drinks,” Downie remarked.

“If you come up with a list, I can do the shopping,” Olivia interjected.  “I need to get a few things for myself and Stewie anyway.”

“Stewie?” Steve asked almost automatically.

I looked over at Olivia to find her blushing slightly.  “He is my cat and roommate.”

“Cool, I wish I had time for a pet,” Steve said with a sad puppy face that Olivia instantly had to sympathize with.  She reached over and patted his hand as she cooed at him about being welcome to come over and play with her kitten.

As soon as the words came out of her mouth, I knew it was going to be bad news.  Downie turned bright red, attempting to hold in a boisterous laugh from the dirty thought she had put in his head.  Of course she did not mean “playing with her kitten” in a vulgar way, obviously not aware of the English innuendo.

I sucked in a breath when Olivia asked, “Did I say something wrong?”  She was looking back and forth between the two of us.

“Um…” was all I could say because I was more interested in kicking Downie under the table at the moment.

In true Steve Downie fashion, he had no problem explaining the slang term.  “Kitten is another word for a woman’s honey pot.  So that is why I began laughing, even though I knew that was not what you meant…”

I could tell she was mortified as color instantly flushed her pale skin and she shielded her eyes from us.  All she squeaked out was, “Oh my.”

I shot a glare over to Steve and kicked him once again in the shins.  “Really?!” I mouthed silently to him.

He just shrugged and mouthed back, “What?!”

We sat in silence for a moment before she took in a deep breath and said, “Well then, I’m glad we have that all cleared up.  This is exactly why I need to hang out with more friends that speak English,” she giggled, obviously overcoming her initial embarrassment.

“Nah, you just need to hang out with us.  I obviously have no problem telling things like they are,” Steve proudly announced as he looked over at me and stuck out his tongue in an effort to prove that he did nothing wrong.





Eric was picking on both of the guys about their mustaches when they came to visit him last night, but by the end of the night Downie took a brown, washable marker and drew one on Eric’s face.  He was delighted and I couldn’t help but laugh as I walked out of the room to him saying something about being the best looking guy in the room.  Of course I piped up and said, “Ich stimmer Eric zu.  Er ist der best aussehendster,” causing Eric to laugh as Stammer and Diggity looked at each other trying to figure out what I said.  I just smiled as I walked out of the room, heading over to my work-desk.

I had been charting when I felt someone standing next to me.  “Ja?”

“I figured you would at least say I was the best looking,” Stammer joked as he leaned against the wall, smiling at me easily.  I could get used to that easy look.  I don’t think Andreas has ever looked at me that way.

“Ah, so Eric told you what I said?”

“Maybe.”

I just giggled and then yawned as I looked back over at the computer.

“Did we keep you up too late today?” he asked, seemingly humored by my yawning.

“Maybe,” I said in the same tone he had used with me when he had said it.  Of course I couldn’t help but look over at him and wink.  You are flirting, Olivia.  “So, ist there something you need?” I asked, trying to be more professional, but it was difficult after noticing how much his t-shirt clung to his broad shoulders.  He looked cute with his black baseball hat on backwards, making him look even younger.

“I brought something along for you,” he said, bringing a bag out from behind his back.  “I figured you would need something to wear to the game tomorrow…” he continued as he handed over the bag.

I opened it and pulled out a dark blue jersey that had BOLTS in big letter across the front.  I didn’t know what to say because I was so shocked and happy to receive a gift.

“I hope you don’t mind that it’s my number.  Downie was a little bummed when he scavenged through the bag on the way over here; he thinks every pretty girl should wear his name and number,” he continued quietly as I turned it around and admired his name and number displayed across the back.

He was still mumbling on about how he was sorry it wasn’t a game worn jersey, but he figured I’d want a smaller one that fit a little better.  And then he went on about how it wasn’t the women’s cut jersey because personally he didn’t think they should even be on the market.  I looked at him and took his hand.  “Steven, thank you.  This is the first gift I have received since I have come here.”

He abruptly stopped talking and exclaimed with raised eyebrows, “Really?”

I just nodded my head.  I had completely forgotten that I still had my hand on his until he looked down at them and then back up at me with longing eyes.  I quickly pulled back, afraid he was getting the wrong idea.  I can only be friends with him, but I can’t deny how my fingers are still tingling from touching him.

“W-w-well, um, I’ll let you get back to work.  I’m glad you like it,” he stuttered as he nodded at me with a shy smile and turned to head back into the room.

“Steven?”

He stopped and turned back around to face me.  “Yeah?”

“Vielen Dank.”

“Gern geschehen, Olivia,” he said, once more flashing me his easy smile.

It was that smile that I awoke to this afternoon.  I woke up in a cold sweat, breathing heavy, finding my comforter and sheets a total wreck around me. 

The dream had started out with Andreas running up to me in the street and taking me into his arms.  He was whispering words of love and how much he missed me.  In the next scene he had me laid out on my bed, candles illuminating our naked skin as he traced light patterns over my skin.  I was laying there with my eyes closed, listening to him speak sweet nothings when it dawned on me that not only has he never been one to compliment or tell me he loved me when we had sex, but that his words were in English.  When I opened my eyes I found it was Steven leaning in towards me and capturing my lips in his.  I woke up as he pulled back from kissing me in my dream.

Stewie must had heard me stir because he was soon walking across my pillow and curling up next to me, purring as I reached over and ran my hand over his baby soft fur.  I shook my head a few times and rolled my eyes as I tried to make sense of what I had just dreamed about.

“I just had the most ridiculous dream, Stewie; I am almost ashamed to think about it,” I sighed.

My quiet thoughts were shattered by my cell phone vibrating across my nightstand.

“Hallo?”

“Olivia?” A familiar female voice rang into the phone.

“Ja?”

“Hey!  It’s Heather, Marty’s wife?!  I hope you don’t mind, but Steven gave me your number so that we could plan a place to meet tonight before the game.”

“Oh, that ist not a problem…”

She ended up picking me up on her way to the arena about an hour before the game so that we could say hello to the guys before the game and that I could watch warm-ups and such.  Heather informed me that she wanted to make sure I got the “full-effect” for my first game.

“What ist wit all the hair?” I asked Heather as I ran my finger across my upper lip as a couple of the guys passed us walking down the hall.  “Is it a hockey player thing?”

She giggled and said, “No, actually it’s for Movember!  It is a national initiative to show support for prostate cancer.  Personally, I can’t wait til they shave them off next week; most of the boys look totally silly.”

I smiled in agreement because I thought both Steve and Steven were handsome, but I had to admit that the mustaches’ looked goofy on them.  Steven’s was the worst, probably because he was so young and the dyed-dark facial hair seemed to clash with his white-blonde hair.

Diggity of course whined when he greeted Heather and me in the locker room.  “I’m giving you one of my sweaters for a Christmas present.  There are just too many Stamkos’ sweaters around this arena already…”

I crooked my finger at him so that he would lean down closer to my height and I planted a kiss on his cheek as I stood on my tip-toes.  “Good luck tonight, Diggity,” I giggled.  “Oh and…” I put my fist out in front of me so that he could bump it, which he did, “And that is from Eric who insisted I do that with you.”

Steve grinned broadly as he scooped me up into an impromptu hug and swung me around, causing me to squeak until he placed me back onto the ground at Marty’s insistence.  I had only met these people a couple days ago, but already I felt like I had known them for years.  I laughed as Marty insisted he also get a kiss on the cheek and the same went for Stammer.  I was practically shaking as I leaned in to kiss Steven who smelled delicious with the cologne he was wearing.  “Viel Glueck, Steven,” I whispered nervously.

“Danke, Oliva,” he whispered back before straightening back to the intimidating height he had on skates.

I was glad I decided to dress warm because our seats were down along the ice.  Heather said most of the wives and girlfriends sit together, but she didn’t think it would be fair to throw me to the wolves on my first night; especially since I wasn’t dating either Steve’s.  I smiled to silently thank her.

No scoring occurred during the first period, but it was a good time for Heather to explain what was going on, so by the time the 2nd period rolled around I actually had some sort of clue what I was watching.  The main thing that confused me was the offsides rule, something that seemed very different from the soccer I grew up playing in Germany.  I enjoyed how the game was fast paced and that there was always action going on all over the ice.

The Lightning scored the first goal of the game with a tip-in past Boston’s goal, Rask.  I jumped up with Heather and bounced around with her and the other thousands of fans.  A few minutes later, Steven scored the 2nd goal, which would eventually be what Heather called the game-winning goal.  Both Marty and Diggity had assists on the goal that Steven made look so easy.  All 3 boys congregated in front of us on the ice to celebrate, causing Heather and I to yell even louder.  When all was said and done, the Bolts beat the Bruins, extending their win streak to 4 in a row.

The guys were on cloud 9 as they came out of the locker room to greet us and I was unable to breathe when Steven walked out in a black suit with a baby-blue tie that made his eyes shine like sapphires.  Heather jumped in and gave him a motherly hug, congratulating him on a good game.  When she let him go, he moved over towards me and looked at me in a way that once again put my heart on notice.

“Wow,” was all I could say.  Of course he thought I was talking about the game itself and not the way he looked like my night in shining armor.  And of course I did not say anything to let him know any different.

“So I guess that means you had a good time tonight?” he chuckled.

I just nodded my head at first until I was able to find my tongue, “Yeah, it really was a lot of fun.  I think I might have to come to more of these games.”

His smile lit up his face and he nodded with satisfaction.





“I’m going out with a couple of the guys,” Downie informed me before I walked out into the family room that was adjacent to our locker room.

“Oh, okay.  I was going to ask Olivia if she wanted to get the groceries tonight for tomorrow’s feast.  Marty and the family are also joining us and I said something to Vinny also.”

Downie snorted, “Jesus Stammer, have I taught you nothing?!  You don’t take a woman grocery shopping on your first date; you are supposed to pick them up at the grocery store, preferably the produce aisle…” he stopped when I punched him in the stomach.

“Shut up, Downie,” I hissed.  “Do you have a hole in your head where information just happens to leak through when you feel it shouldn’t pertain to you?  She told us yesterday that she is engaged,” I reminded him. 

Of course the light bulb never popped on because when he opened his mouth, more bullshit came pouring out.  “She ain’t engaged without a ring, which means you are still free to make your move.”

“That just makes you sound like a guy with no respect,” I grumbled as I tightened up my tie.

“No, it’s just coming from a guy who noticed she didn’t seem too enthusiastic when she talked about that Andy guy yesterday when we were at the café…”

“It’s Andreas,” I cut in.

“Andreas, Andy-ass, his name makes no difference because it’s gonna be your names she is screaming out in the middle of the night when you finally grow a set and make a move,” he finished as Marty just stood there laughing at our conversation.

“Stop laughing Marty, you are supposed to be telling him not to talk like that,” I whined.

“But he’s completely right, Stammer.  You obviously have a thing for this German beauty…and if she’s even only half as unhappy as Hammer here portrays, then I think you have the okay to make a move. So throw on your charming face, get your ass out to the family room, and ask to take her grocery shopping!” he said as serious as Marty can be when he is attempting to make an ass out of you without actually making an ass out of you.

My heart raced when I first connected eyes with her, making me feel like I had just come off the ice from a fast-paced shift.  The guys were right.  I did notice how unhappy she seemed when she spoke of Andreas the other day, so this was a big chance for me to make a move.  I just didn’t want to blow it.

I was smiling like a baboon when she said she wanted to come to more of our games.  There was only a few awkward seconds of staring at each other before I finally got up the nerve to ask her to join me.

“Do you want to go with me tonight and get the groceries for tomorrow?”

She looked over at Heather who was still standing near by.  “Do you mind if I get a ride with Steven?  I appreciate you bringing me here tonight,” she said politely.

Heather leaned in and pulled her into a hug, “Go ahead, don’t feel the need to spend a moment longer with this mother.  I will see you kids tomorrow,” she said as she winked at me over Olivia’s shoulder.

I offered her my arm as we walked out to my car in the warm, Florida evening air.  “Nizza Auto,” she murmured.

I let out a laugh, “Thanks.  I bought it off Ryan Malone the other year when he decided to upgrade.  The black paint makes it a little warm during the day…”

“I bet,” she said as I opened the door of my Mercedes for her to slide in.  “Can we drive with the top down?” she asked excitedly.

“Sure!”

Soon we were cruising down the highway with the Top Hits radio station blaring out the new Kanye West song.  She was giddy by the time we pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store that was right down the street from my apartment complex.  I laughed as she began trying to comb through her now knotted blonde hair.

“Next time I will bring a hair tie,” she grimaced as she pulled through another knot.

“Sorry,” I said, not knowing what else to say.

“No worries,” she said, suddenly pulling off her jersey and revealing a black, tight fitting, knit tank top that had a tiny little jewels in the shape of a small star strategically placed between her breasts.  I couldn’t help but glance at it.  “I always get too warm with jeans and long sleeved shirts, except when we are at the ice rink of course,” she smiled, seeming completely oblivious to the fact that I was probably drooling.

I just nodded my head in acknowledgment, pulling my eyes away from her perky breasts as I quickly took off my suit coat, ditched the tie and rolled up my shirt sleeves before getting out of the car.  I quickly ran around to the other side of the car to open her door.  I was rewarded with a bright smile and a peck on the cheek for being “so sweet.”

Grocery shopping had never been more rewarding as I lolly-gagged behind, admiring how her tight jeans hugged her little body, accentuating her small ass.  She was talking on and on about how they did not have big supermarkets over in Germany and how it was very overwhelming when she went shopping the first few times over here in the States.  I enjoyed listening to her stories, so I made sure to ask her all about Leipzig and about her family.

Her father was a wealthy aristocrat, who was not too keen on her choice of profession, but since she had a brother following in the family footsteps, she was able to basically get away with anything she pleased when it came to her future.

“…except for Andreas,” she said in a barely audible voice.

I paused as she picked out some yams and worked up the nerve to ask the million dollar questions.  “Do you love him?”

She continued to study the yams to make sure she picked the right ones as she spoke.  “If love ist comfort, then yes.  We have known each other since we were babies.  His dad ist also an aristocrat, so we were brought up in similar households where the men make the decisions and the women have to follow them.  Andreas ist…” she paused for a moment, like she was trying to think of the correct English word, “Andreas ist a very proud man who knows what he wants.  He has promised to make me his wife and give me the same life I have known since I was born, one of old money and comfort.”

“You don’t seem the type to look at money as the root of happiness,” I noted.

“Ah yes, you are right.  However that ist where things are very different in Europe.  We do not have as many rags to riches stories as they do here in America.  The American Dream is a thing of mockery, so when you come from a wealthy family, you stay married to the wealth to make sure your children have the same chance you had growing up,” she said thoughtfully as she placed the bag of yams she chose in the cart.

It seemed she had enough talking about her own life, so she began asking me about mine.  For the rest of the shopping trip we talked about how I was lucky to not have to move away from my parents at a young age, like most aspiring hockey players because I was drafted by my hometown team and how I worked at a butcher shop in Toronto in the summer at the insistence for my dad.  I also told her about my other best friend, Mike DelZotto and the 3 of us (Me, Mike, and Steve) and how we spent the summer training together and working on our golf strokes.  It was probably the longest grocery shopping trip I had ever been apart of, but I didn’t mind because I enjoyed getting to know Olivia, my mini-Reese Witherspoon.

“Are you sure you want to help me unload these groceries? Seriously, I can handle it myself.  I’m sure you are tired after working last night and all…” I rambled on as she insisted on coming back to my apartment with me to help get all the groceries in and to prep the turkey so that I just had to put it in the oven in the morning.

She looked over at me with furrowed eyebrows, “You told me that you have no clue how to cook a bird.”

“Yea…” I said, realizing that I she actually did have to come back to my apartment with me.  It’s not that I didn’t want her there.  In fact I couldn’t wait to get her into the apartment.  Unfortunately, my idea of events had nothing to do with her in the kitchen; it had more to do with what I wanted to do with her in the bedroom.

“No more argument,” she said with a satisfied smile that made my dick jump.  Jesus, since when have you become the horn-dog, Stamkos?!

1 comment:

  1. I hope that when Andreas comes to Tampa the Steve's can get Olivia to drop his sleezy German ass!

    I'm really liking her and Stamkos together :D

    ReplyDelete